Friday, September 23, 2011

Civil War Blocks - APRIL

Yeah, so I'm a little behind. As usually anyone who knows me, knows this is not an unusual thing when it comes to my blogging. So, I've been slowly chugging through my Civil War Blocks this year. I went home (to my parents) in May & June. I'm a couple blocks behind but hopefully in another couple of weeks I'll be caught up......or close to it. APRIL - Triple Link Chain This block KICKED MY BUTT! I've never pulled out so many stitches over and over and over and over! I finally got it acceptable. I'm still 1/8"-1/4" short on half of one side (don't ask, I don't really know how it happened) but I finally got it close enough for me and figured that's all that matters! It's a gorgeous block but really tough. I probably should have hand stitched one part of it but well, I never do what I "should" do.
The Triple Link Chain block represents family ties. Many of the slaves were torn apart from family members. Those who came over on slave ships were sold off one by one - splitting husband and wives, parents and children. Children born into slavery were not guaranteed to stay with their parents. Many slave masters sold off children for profit. Can you imagine? I cannot. Below is the story of John Fields's family. His mother lost 12 children in one day with their plantation master died.

"There was 11 other children besides myself in my family. When I was six years old, all of us children were taken from my parents, because my master died and his estate had to be settled. We slaves were divided by this method. Three disinterested persons were chosen to come to the plantation and together they wrote the names of the different heirs on a few slips of paper. These slips were put in a hat and passed among us slaves. Each one took a slip and the name on the slip was the new owner. I happened to draw the name of a relative of my master who was a widow. I can't describe the heartbreak and horror of that separation. I was only six years old and it was the last time I ever saw my mother for longer than one night. Twelve children were taken from my mother in one day...My mother was later allowed to visit among us children for one week of each year, so she could only remain a short time at each place." (taken from: Split-Up Families - Awesome Stories)

No comments: