Sunday, April 4, 2010

Around the World Quilt

It's just the top but I did finish it today. Back in February of 2007, I was active in a Yahoogroup called Stashbuilders. I did a 6" charm swap with them called "Around the World". Each person participating was to send in 6"charms of fabric that represented where they lived (or had lived). We were in Hawaii at the time so I got to send in some wonderful aloha fabric! My plan for this quilt is to be just a nice, comfy lap quilt for the living room in the winter months.

There were 2 groups and I of course wanted to be part of both groups. Even so, I got very few duplicate fabrics.

This is the quilt top and the fabric I found to (eventually) back the quilt with:



This is the fabric I chose. I picked a fabric that had a little bit of everything from Hawaii on it. To my own quilt I added the Hawaii state college fabric because I had a little of that fabric laying around.


There was a wonderful selection of fabrics from all over the nation and several other countries. 80 6" charms total. So many fabrics I can't even being to list them all but here's a taste.

Apples from NYC; Leaning Tower fabric from Italy; Ford Mustangs from Michigan; Texas Wildflowers, southwest fabric from Arizona; moose from Maine; floral emblem from South Australia; Arkansas Razorbacks, Route 66, woodland setting from Washington, Spiderman from NYC; circus fabric is from Oklahoma (where the circus goes for the winter).



Beer Steins from Germany; Cowboys, Cactus & Horses from Texas; Music notes from Nashville TN; Elvis from Memphis TN; Ceremonial armband from Australia; Maple leafs from Canada as well as from Vermont; Harley Davidson fabric from Milwaukee WI; state flowers from Ohio,Kansas and Texas; state birds and insects from New Jersey,Ohio and California.



This was a very neat project. The fabrics were so interesting and really neat to learn from.

No comments: