Sunday, August 29, 2010

CK Sketches Workshop

My first class at the Creating Keepsakes Convention was the CK Sketches Workshop. This was for 3 hours on Thursday evening. It was very face paced. I enjoyed it but I'd pass on it next time if I were picking classes again. Why you ask? It was billed as a "sketches" workshop. Sketches are a popular way for many scrappers to come up with fresh layouts for their albums. I love sketches (Page Maps is my favorite) but I feel I don't always make the most of them which is why I took this workshop. However, the workshop was designed more for the vendors and less of those like me who wanted to glean more about working with sketches. Each vendor was given a sketch and asked to make a single page layout from it. It was interesting to see how they took the original sketch and then turned it into their layout. The only disappointment was that not all vendors did not give us the original sketch so we could see the difference.

IMG_1318 IMG_1307

IMG_1314 IMG_1309



This workshop was $36 for the 3 hours plus all the supplies. I only had to pull out my paper trimmer and adhesive. I do feel I got my money's worth even if back in supplies. I know my fellow scrappers are with me when I state how much paper and supplies costs these days for this hobby. Most vendors offered a companion page to the page we made (for a small additional fee of course) I bought 1 companion page and won another as a door prize that evening. I was lucky to win one that I actually liked too.

I ended up with 12 (mostly finished) pages. I say "mostly" because as I said - it was face paced! The other thing was some of the pages weren't really my taste but I knew once I got home and worked on them I'd be able to make them more my style. Some of the embellishments weren't for me (like the fabric flowers we were to make - I quickly passed on that.) Out of the 12 pages I really love about 3 or 4 of them, the majority I'm okay with and then there are a couple that just scream "not me!" when I look at them.

So as I said before if I had the choice next time around I'd pass on this workshop. For the $36 I could take 2 cheaper classes or an additional $25 class and saved a bit of money.

No comments: